Research on Bacopa monnieri has indicated that it has an adaptogenic effect on systems related to cognition, motivation, sensory, and motor function.31-35
It has also shown to provide a significant decrease in stress-related anxiety, mental fatigue, and memory loss.33
Recently, scientists have found that Bacopa modulates particular, stress-triggered disruptions in homeostasis:
- Antioxidant activity37
- Lipid peroxidation37
- Cognition and memory38
Scientists set up a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study for which they enlisted 20 healthy older adults age 60-75, each of which were given a standardized Bacopa monnieri extract in a 300 mg oral dosage once per day. (This is equivalent to 132 mg daily of a more concentrated Bacopa extract.) Focus, attention, learning, memory, mood, and overall intelligence—all of which can be negatively impacted by stress—were assessed using a battery of standardized tests.
After 4 months, several key indicators of cognitive function improved significantly from baseline measurements—including a 23% improvement in focus and attention, a 24% improvement in aspects of learning and memory, a 15% improvement in performance measures of intelligence, and a30% improvement in mood, particularly depression. One of the most compelling findings in this study was the trend to do better on tests of attention, processing speed and working memory, which could be considered the “front end” of cognitive processing. In other words, good performance in key cognitive domains requires adequate attention and processing speed—which Bacopa is shown to support.54
- Singh HK, Rastogi RP, Srimal RC, et al. Effect of bacosides A and B on avoidance responses in rats.Phytother Res. 1988;2(2):70-5.
- Singh HK, Dhawan BN. Effect ofBacopa monnieraLinn. (brahmi) extract on avoidance response in rat. J Ethnopharmacol. 1982;5:205-14.
- Singh RH, Singh L. Studies on the anti-anxiety effects of the medhya rasayana drug, Brahmi (Bacopa monnieraWettst.) part I.J Res Ayur Siddha. 1960;1(1):133-48.
- Rao GM, Karanth KS. Neuropharmacological activity ofHerpestis monniera.Fitoterapia. 1992;63(5):399-404.
- Stough C, Lloyd J, Clarke J, et al. The chronic effects of an extract onBacopa monniera(Brahmi) on cognitive function in healthy human subjects. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2001;156(4):481-4.
- Sheikh N, Ahmad A, Siripurapu KB, Kuchibhotla VK, Singh S, Palit G. Effect ofBacopa monnieraon stress induced changes in plasma corticosterone and brain monoamines in rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2007 May 22;111(3):671-6.
- Dhanasekaran M, Tharakan B, Holcomb LA, Hitt AR, Young KA, Manyam BV. Neuroprotective mechanisms of Ayurvedic antidementia botanicalBacopa monniera.Phytother. Res. 2007;21:965-9.
- Raghav S, Singh H, Dalal PK, Srivastava JS, Asthana OP. Randomized controlled trial of standardizedBacopa monnieraextract in age-associated memory impairment. Ind J Psych. 2006;48(4):238-42.
The results show a significant effect of the Brahmi on a test for the retention of new information
The current study examined the chronic effects of an extract of B. monniera (Keenmind) on cognitive function in healthy human subjects.
The study was a double-blind placebo-controlled independent-group design in which subjects were randomly allocated to one of two treatment conditions, B. monniera (300 mg) or placebo. Neuropsychological testing was conducted pre-(baseline) and at 5 and 12 weeks post drug administration.
- monniera significantly improved speed of visual information processing measured by the IT task, learning rate and memory consolidation measured by the AVLT (P<0.05), and state anxiety (P<0.001) compared to placebo, with maximal effects evident after 12 weeks.
These findings suggest that B. monniera may improve higher order cognitive processes that are critically dependent on the input of information from our environment such as learning and memory.
the reason why bacopa is good for the brain is because it contains bacosides, which are chemical compounds that can repair damaged neurons, thus improving nerve impulse transmission.
Bacopa Monnieri is the second highest ranked herb in Ayurveda,